By Aileen Moreton-Robinson, Maryrose Casey, Fiona Nicoll
The gathering contributes to transnational whiteness debates via theoretically trained readings of old and modern texts via confirmed and rising students within the box of serious whiteness experiences. From quite a lot of disciplinary views, the e-book lines continuity and alter within the cultural creation of white advantage inside of texts, from the proud colonial second via to neoliberalism and the worldwide conflict on terror within the twenty-first century. learn jointly, those chapters express a posh figuring out of ways transnational whiteness travels and manifests itself inside of varied political and cultural contexts.
Some chapters handle political, felony and constitutional features of whiteness whereas others discover media representations and well known cultural texts and practices. The e-book additionally comprises priceless historic reviews documenting how whiteness is insinuated in the texts produced, circulated and reproduced in particular cultural and nationwide destinations.
Read or Download Transnational Whiteness Matters PDF
Similar feminist theory books
Makes a speciality of feminist analyses of race and ethnicity - at present essentially the most rapid matters dealing with feminist pondering. the amount levels from a examine of the social geographes of whiteness within the united states to a number of views at the break-up in Yugoslavia.
This e-book strains the crystallisation of post-Marxism as a particular theoretical place in its personal correct and considers the function performed in its improvement via post-structuralism, postmodernism and second-wave feminism. It examines the heritage of dissenting trends in the Marxist culture and considers what the longer term customers of post-Marxism usually are.
This quantity of essays through Naomi Scheman brings jointly her perspectives on epistemic and socio-political matters, perspectives that draw on a severe interpreting of Wittgenstein in addition to on liberatory hobbies and theories, all within the provider of a primary reorientation of epistemology. For a few theorists, epistemology is an primarily foundationalist and as a result discredited company; for others-particularly analytic epistemologists--it is still conscientiously segregated from political issues.
This super obtainable textbook presents a wide-ranging research of the kinfolk among philosophy and feminist concept. reading not just feminist opinions of philosophical rules, Gatens additionally appears to be like on the ways that feminist conception should be trained by means of philosophical research and debates. Gatens adopts an old method, starting with an research of Mary Wollstonecraft's critique of Rousseau.
- Cross-Purposes: Lesbians, Feminists, and the Limits of Alliance
- The Return of the Political
- Sex, Honor and Citizenship in Early Third Republic France
- Drones, Clones, And Alpha Babes: Retrofitting Star Trek's Humanism, Post-9 11
- Women, Political Philosophy and Politics
- Feminist Research in Theory and Practice
Additional resources for Transnational Whiteness Matters
22. Richard Jürgens, The Many Houses of Exile (Pretoria: Clarke’s Books, 2002). 23. I do not mean to be facetious, but I wonder if perhaps it is indeed the case that White South Africans will need a few generations before they let go of the templates colonialism put in place, and Apartheid patented. 24. Doris Lessing, African Laughter: Four Visits to Zimbabwe (London: HarperCollins, 1992). 25. A recent piece in the UK leftwing newspaper, The Guardian, painted a particularly bleak picture of the situation in Johannesburg, noting how the crime rate seemed unstoppable in its ever-upwards trajectory.
42. Dominick LaCapra, History, Politics and the Novel (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1987), 25. 43. Ian Hacking, Rewriting the Soul: Multiple Personality and the Sciences of Memory (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1995), 21. 44. Hacking, Rewriting the Soul, 214. Chapter Two Managing Resistance: Whiteness and the Storytellers of Indigenous Protest in Australia Maryrose Casey Since the first stirrings of a white sense of Australia as home, the issues of Indigenous rights and presence in Australia have played a pivotal role in the framing of identity and nation.
In terms of the policies of containment, a pivotal campaign in the 1990s that provoked and fuelled much of the conservative reaction within the history wars was what has become known as the issue of the Stolen Generations. The Stolen Generations is a general term used to denote the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, usually of mixed cultural heritage, who were taken, often under duress, from their families by Australian government agencies and church missions, under various state acts of Parliament between approximately 1910 and 1970.