By Georg Simmel
'I have misplaced curiosity ... in all that i've got written sooner than The Philosophy of cash. This one is absolutely my ebook, the others seem to me colourless and appear as though they can were written through a person else.' - Georg Simmel to Heinrich Rickert (1904)
In The Philosophy of cash, Simmel presents us with a remarkably wide-ranging dialogue of the social, mental and philosophical points of the cash economic system, choked with impressive insights into the kinds that social relationships take. He analyzes the relationships of cash to replace, the human character, the location of girls, person freedom and lots of different components of human lifestyles. Later he offers us with an account of the results of the trendy funds economic system and the department of labour, which examines the procedures of alienation and reification in paintings, city lifestyles and somewhere else. possibly, greater than any of his different sociological works, The Philosophy of cash offers us an instance of his entire research of the interrelationships among the main assorted and possible attached social phenomena.
This revised variation of the interpretation through Tom Bottomore and David Frisby, incorporates a new Preface by way of David Frisby.
Read or Download The Philosophy of Money PDF
Best money & monetary policy books
An excellent advisor with all of the fundamentals to appreciate different forms of alternate expense regimes and the demanding situations they pose to varied economies.
Nationwide currencies seem to be threatened from both sides. eu Union member international locations are because of abandon their nationwide currencies in favour of a supranational foreign money via the 12 months 2000. in other places, using foreign exchange inside nationwide monetary areas is at the bring up, as proven by means of the expansion of eurocurrency job, and foreign money substitution in lots of elements of the realm.
John Maynard Keynes (1883–1946) used to be surely some of the most influential thinkers of the 20th century. His paintings revolutionised the idea and perform of recent economics. It has had a profound effect at the means economics is taught and written, and on monetary coverage, world wide. The gathered Writings of John Maynard Keynes, released in complete in digital and paperback layout for the 1st time, makes on hand in thirty volumes all of Keynes’s released books and articles.
With fresh turmoil in monetary markets all over the world, this certain and up to date e-book addresses a couple of demanding concerns relating to financial coverage, monetary markets and macroeconomic policy.
While the various chapters tackle the new concern in addition to changes to the Basel Accord, others examine the mandatory alterations to the behavior of economic and monetary regulations. the celebrated authors provide an in-depth and accomplished research of macroeconomics and supply substitute rules to accommodate a few continual modern day problems.
Offering an attractive research of present financial matters from a Post-Keynesian point of view, this publication will attract lecturers and graduate scholars of macroeconomics and monetary markets.
‘The quantity credits, funds and Macroeconomic coverage edited by means of Claude Gnos and Louis-Philippe Rochon, represents a most vital contribution to our knowing of the character and position of credits and funds in glossy economies. It bargains with the most urgent problems with our time; as such it constitutes a useful advisor for the comprehension of the results of the final two decades of inflation focusing on guidelines. ’
– Giuseppe Fontana, collage of Leeds, united kingdom and college of Sannio, Italy.
Contributors: A. Asensio, R. Bellofiore, R. W. Dimand, A. Fumagalli, C. Gnos, R. Guttmann, J. Halevi, E. Hein, S. Karagiannis, T. T. Koutsobinas, S. Lucarelli, Y. Panagopoulos, A. Parguez, L. -P. Rochon, S. Rossi, M. Sawyer, U. ? ener, M. Setterfield, R. Sobreira, A. D. Spiliotis, A. Truger, P. Zendron.
- Chasing Mammon
- Monetary Theory and Policy Edition 2
- Endgame for the Euro: A Critical History
- The Basel Committee on Banking Supervision: A History of the Early Years 1974-1997
Additional info for The Philosophy of Money
It is also the case that Simmel was not the only social scientist who had an impact upon some of his work. 77 Rather, what is important here is how Simmel’s analysis of money is taken up and incorporated into Hofmannsthal’s work. 78 Since 1904 Hofmannsthal had been working on a new version of his drama Jedermann (‘Everyman’). 79 How important this reading was for Hofmannsthal is indicated by a remarkable diary entry of the writer and critic Harry Graf Kessler in October 1906: Early from Berlin to Weimar.
508. 127 See epigraph to ‘Preface to the Second Edition’ below. Schullerus, ‘Simmel und Schmoller’, op. , p. 224. Hoeber, ‘Georg Simmel. Der Kulturphilosoph unserer Zeit’, Neue Jahrbücher für das klassische Altertum, Geschichte und deutsche Literatur, vol. 21, 1918, p. 475. Preface to the Second Edition I have lost interest…in all that I have written prior to The Philosophy of Money. This one is really my book, the others appear to me colourless and seem as if they could have been written by anyone else.
166. My emphasis. Simmel, ‘The Picture Frame’, Theory, Culture & Society, vol. 11, 1994, pp. 11–17. Rammstedt (eds), Georg Simmel und die Moderne, Frankfurt, Suhrkamp, 1994, pp. 231–81. Rammstedt, ‘On Simmel’s Aesthetics: Argumentation in the Journal Jugend, 1897–1906’, Theory, Culture & Society, vol. 8, no. 3, 1991, pp. 125–44. Lichtblau, Kulturkrise und Soziologie um die Jahrhundertwende, Frankfurt, Suhrkamp, 1996, p. 229. See also his ‘Die Seele und das Geld. Neidhardt et al. (eds), Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie, Sonderheft 27, 1986, pp.