By Kelly Oliver, Lisa Walsh
Have we entered a historic second of "post-feminism?" This quantity offers a well timed and convincing "no." those essays exhibit that there's a new iteration of French ladies who take in questions of equality and distinction from a place detailed from both first or moment wave feminism, a place that frequently makes an attempt to maneuver past the binary of equality and/or distinction to a brand new kind of the person.
Read Online or Download Contemporary French Feminism (Oxford Readings in Feminism) PDF
Similar feminist theory books
Makes a speciality of feminist analyses of race and ethnicity - at present some of the most speedy matters dealing with feminist considering. the quantity levels from a examine of the social geographes of whiteness within the united states to quite a few views at the break-up in Yugoslavia.
This publication lines the crystallisation of post-Marxism as a selected theoretical place in its personal correct and considers the position performed in its improvement via post-structuralism, postmodernism and second-wave feminism. It examines the heritage of dissenting traits in the Marxist culture and considers what the long run clients of post-Marxism usually are.
This quantity of essays by means of Naomi Scheman brings jointly her perspectives on epistemic and socio-political concerns, perspectives that draw on a serious analyzing of Wittgenstein in addition to on liberatory events and theories, all within the carrier of a primary reorientation of epistemology. For a few theorists, epistemology is an primarily foundationalist and accordingly discredited company; for others-particularly analytic epistemologists--it continues to be carefully segregated from political issues.
This super obtainable textbook presents a wide-ranging research of the kin among philosophy and feminist proposal. studying not just feminist evaluations of philosophical rules, Gatens additionally seems to be on the ways that feminist concept could be trained through philosophical research and debates. Gatens adopts an old technique, starting with an research of Mary Wollstonecraft's critique of Rousseau.
- Faith, Feminism, and Scholarship: The Next Generation
- The Parlour and the Suburb: Domestic Identities, Class, Femininity and Modernity
- Gender and Archaeology: Contesting the Past
- How Women Saved The City
- Multiculturalism without Culture
- Rethinking Gender in Revolutions and Resistance: Lessons from the Arab World
Extra info for Contemporary French Feminism (Oxford Readings in Feminism)
Halimi is the co-founder (with Simone de Beauvoir) of Choisir, la cause des femmes (Choice, Women’s Cause). Choisir began as a defence for the signers of the infamous ‘Un Appel de 343 femmes’ (The Call of 343 Women), a full-page ad appearing in Le Nouvel Observateur on 5 April 1971. Signed by 343 well-known women admitting to having had abortions (then illegal in France), the call immediately provoked a national debate on abortion rights—quite a feat since a 1920 law forbade any public discussion on the topic.
Have equal right to all public dignities, places and jobs . ’. All the Constitutions of the Republic establish in forceful terms the principles of equality among citizens and of the unity and indivisibility of the French people. The notion of universalism is rigged up on the scaﬀolding of equality. However, it would be a mistake to see universalism as a notion applicable to everybody. It is true that the castes, elites, or social and political classes of the ancien régime no longer exist. They have been replaced and their functions taken over by citizens on equal terms.
15. Sabine Prokhoris, Le Sexe prescrit (Paris: Aubier, 2001), 293. 16. The feminist demand of the 1970s for the right to a sex life without pregnancy through contraception and abortion has become a demand for the right to pregnancy without intercourse. Is this a logical development or a perversion of the original demand? 17. Is the possibility for an adopted child to ﬁnd its birth parents, or at least the mother, an acknowledgement of the importance of biology or of the importance of completing what is known of one’s history with what happened before?